Position Announcement(Full-Time Contracted English Instructor)
|Institution Name/City||Hiroshima Shudo University, Hiroshima, Japan|
|Position||Full-time contracted instructor|
|Number of Positions||1|
|Term of Contract||2-year contract from April 1, 2021 to March 31, 2023
Renewable once, for a period of 2 years, if agreeable to both parties
|Duties||10 teaching classes per week
5 office-hour periods per week
Summer/spring intensive classes (if required)
(The above number of hours is based on the semester-system. For classes taught under the term-system, the number of classes to be taught per week may differ among terms.)
|Qualifications/Requirements||(1) A person whose first language is English or who has the equivalent competence in English
(2) At least an M.A./M.Ed. in ESL/EFL or equivalent in education or experience
(3) Sufficient Japanese language ability to carry out various responsibilities within the university
(4) Ability to teach English subjects including “English Listening”, “English Reading”, “Active English” and “English Writing Studies” as well as major subjects including “Current English” and “Business English”
(5) To be resident in Hiroshima city or its vicinity once employed
|Application Deadline||To arrive no later than 16:45 on Friday, August 21, 2020|
|Application Materials||(1) CV with a photo attached
(2) A copy of the applicant’s B.A. and M.A./M.Ed. certificates
(3) A copy (or original) of three main academic publications
(4) A five-minute recording in English of the applicant’s self-introduction and views on teaching English, submitted as an audio file (in mp3 or wav format) on a CD, DVD, or USB memory stick
(5) A sample course outline describing 16 ninety-minute lessons (including a final test) for a 1st year required “English Listening” course for students at CEFR Pre-A1 to lower A1 level (Please use the downloadable template.)
|Selection Procedure||Stage 1: Examination of application materials
Stage 2: Selected applicants will be called for an interview.
The interview will be conducted in English and Japanese. Interviewees will be asked to deliver a demonstration class as part of the interview.
*Depending on the COVID-19 situation as of Aug. to Sept., 2020, Stage 2 of the selection process may be held online (e.g. on Zoom).
|Benefits||(1)Salary:Paid in accordance with the university’s rules and regulations
4,800,000 yen a year / 400,000 yen per month
(2)Research allowance of up to a maximum of \338,000 a year (as per 2019)
(3)Travel allowance, housing allowance
(4)Pension and health insurance, employment insurance, workers’ compensation plan, asset-building savings plan etc.
(5)Holidays are typically Sundays, national holidays, New Year, Founding Anniversary of HSU (Nov. 4th) and paid holidays. However, depending on the academic calendar, some classes/office hours are required on national holidays and during holiday periods.
|Application Submission||Supplementary application documents are to be downloaded from the JREC-IN website.
Application materials are to be sent by registered mail and will not be accepted if sent by e-mail.
Please clearly mark the envelope with: 外国語契約教員応募 (in red)
Application materials should be addressed to:
President Takanori Mikami
Personnel Affairs Office,
Hiroshima Shudo University,
1-1-1, Ozuka-Higashi, Asaminami-ku
Hiroshima, 731-3195, Japan
After the decision on the appointment of the new contracted English Instructor has been finalized,
each applicant will be informed of the decision and all application materials will be returned.
Application materials will be used solely for the selection process and not for any other purposes.
Note: Hiroshima Shudo University is actively promoting gender equality in all its hiring practices.
|Contact Details for Further Information||Tel 082-830-1105